home  |  about  |   galleries  |   pricing  |   info  |   links   |   contact




December 3, 2010

"Come as You Are" Project

ok.
So i've had this itch for a very long time...
and now it's time to cure the itch
I am starting my
"Come as YOU are''
project.
This....is very close to my heart
and if nothing else...im doing this for me..to itch an itch.
But my HOPE is that this will touch some hearts...even if it's just one

To begin...a little bit about me. I am a photographer...special education teacher...mom...and wife.
My life can be summed up in these 4 areas.
Nothing means more to me.
As a high school student, my niece was born without legs.
And that did something to me.
It brought an awareness to my eyes...and that awareness and love for others has only since become brighter.
Then in my senior year of high school I became a snowboarding coach for the Special Olympics.
And from there I had found my calling in life.
I never wavered in choosing my path of education...years later I graduated from the University of Utah in Special Education.
My love for photography goes just as deep as my love for teaching kids. I have loved...I mean i have LOVED taking pictures since I can remember. I think one reason I love photographs so much is the way they make me feel. Some people express themselves in the written word, some dance, some sing...I take pictures. Photographs move me.
So when I started teaching I was able to combine these two very important and deeply imbedded passions of mine together.
When you take a portrait of someone...it freezes time.
You don't see the disability
You can't see the prosthetic legs
You don't see their bad day
you see THEM
And that is what this project is about.
It is to spotlight amazing people.
Those people that may go unnoticed day to day
but who quietly inspire others around them
It might be a single mom
a teenage mom
It might be that Dad who is always helping others around him
a baseball coach
a teacher
a child
a friend
a mother of a child with autism
...get the picture
EVERYONE IS AMAZING
so anyone and everyone is able to participate
This project is not to recruit the most beautiful person but rather to spotlight those who have challenges or disabilities but still wake up each day to be that amazing person they are, or to spotlight someone who has made a difference in your life or the lives of others, to spotlight that Mom who is doing an amazing job, or that neighbor, friend, or boss, etc who are admired by all.

now..the last and best part of me.
The Mom
These boys of mine are my world
I want them to be proud of me
and I want them to grow into loving and successful men that make this world a better place.
How can I teach these boys to love, not to judge, to forgive, and to serve?
...I have so much to learn on how to do this
but this project is a start.
It is for my sons, for them to see these portraits of people, some of whom they will know, and others who will be strangers.
I want to teach them to SEE people
i want them to be INSPIRED
and if in the small chance we can inspire someone else along the way
then I've made my sons proud.

NOW the details about the project
I can not accomplish this book without the help of all of you
I am looking for volunteers to be spotlighted
If you don't want to volunteer yourself then please...PLEASE
send me someone who INSPIRES you!
I will come to them and
take their portrait for free.
In order to be apart of this you will need to let me use your images as needed throughout this project. (sign a model release form)
I have not gone as far as to figure out the publishing part of this yet.
So let's get through the first couple parts first.

If you want to volunteer yourself, or someone else...
please email me hillaryhormanphotography@comcast.net
no one will be turned down
Hugs to you ALL!!!
Love,
Me


7 comments:

Cammie said...

Hillary, this sounds amazing! I can't wait to see your finished project. In the mean time, I'll be thinking of nominations. What a wonderful idea!

Lauren said...

My mind is already spinning with ideas of people! Let me gather my thoughts and I will email you the info. If I may say so, you had better have some pictures of YOU in this book!

Hillary Horman Photography said...

oh my goodness. thanks guys! I'm so excited...and so nervous about at the same time. Im thrilled to know that you guys like the idea and that you will send some great people my way.
hugs....and thank you

Anne-Marie said...

Hillary, I am so emotional reading this post. You are such a beautiful person & I also have such a love for the disabled. You have such a big heart & what an inspiring idea for a book. I've got a few people in mind...

Anonymous said...

I have a soft spot for GG, I think anyone that knows her does.
This is an awesome idea.

Kimi

Hillary Horman Photography said...

amen kimi.
would you like to do her write up...about why she inspires you...why you think she is amazing. I'll photograph her while she is here.

The Clark's said...

Wow! This idea is inspired and beautiful. I have a nephew that has neurofibromyalga. I will send this to his mom and I bet you she would love for her son to be apart of it. I really look forward to see the finish product.